A STAY IN THE MANI PENINSULA, BETWEEN TRADITIONS AND NATURE
This itinerary goes through the following steps:
Day 1 - 5: The Mani Peninsula
Day 6 : End of the trip
Enjoy this holiday in the Mani Peninsula... before it becomes a popular tourist destination!
Located between the Gulf of Messenia and the Gulf of Laconia, the Mani Peninsula landscape is very diverse: medieval villages clinging to mountains, small inlets where you can swim, square stone houses, fields lined with low dry-stone walls. There are stark, yet beautiful barren landscapes. The region is off the beaten track, so it is well worth staying there a few days. By car, the region is only a few hours away from Athens.
N.B : Contact our greek specialists so they can customize this itinerary and adapt it to your needs and wishes.
Here is the list of hotels for your travel in Greece:
Guest house in Porto Itylo
A guest house facing Porto Itylo harbour, just a stone's throw from the beach. Accommodation for between 2 and 4 people with terraces and a view overlooking the bay. The owners are exceptionally welcoming and helpful. You are more than guests, you are friends. All of the rooms have a TV and equipped kitchen. Some rooms even have a fireplace for guests that come during the winter.
PORTO VITILO HOTEL
3-star local hotel in Itylo
A pretty hotel in traditional Mani style, 1 km away from the village of Neo Itylo. Hotel with two floors made of stone, a typical feature of the regional architecture. Ideally located by the seaside, facing a pebble beach. The hotel features chic rustic decoration with exposed beams, fireplace in the living room and beautiful furniture. The hotel is in a secluded and calm location. The 33 rooms and suites (suites that can sleep 4 people in one room) have a wonderful view of either the sea or mountains, with air conditioning, satellite TV and a small balcony or terrace. Several taverns are located close to nearby Itylo harbour, at other end of the beach.
LIMENI VILLAGE HOTEL
3-Star charming local hotel
This charming local hotel is in an excellent location facing the Limeni bay, 2 km north of Areopolis. The exceptional surroundings and location on the side of a mountain guarantee total peace and quiet. A few sets of stairs will take you directly to the pebble beach and crystal-clear waters. The 35 bungalows are built out of stone in the traditional Mani style. The rooms, one per bungalow, are spacious, well laid-out and perfectly equipped. There is a fantastic view of the bay from anywhere you look, though it is particularly impressive from the swimming pool.
Estimated price per person: 350 euros
- 5-night stay in Elixirion: from 350 to 500Euros
- 5-night stay in Limeni Village Hotel: from 450 to 600 Euros
Price set according to the number of people and the season.
- 5 nights in a double room
- B&B board and lodgings
- 6-day hire of a Category B vehicle.
What's not included
- Your international flights
- Other meals
The Mani Peninsula is around 280 km from Athens; half of the journey is by motorway. The journey takes around 4 hours and you will travel through some stunning parts of the Peloponnese. You could also organise a midway stop. Mystras or Nauplion make for interesting places to stop and are easy to organise
Highlights of the travel in Greece:
- This trip is available all year round
- A 7/7 assistance during your trip
Our advices for this travel in Greece:
- Follow the west coast road. Be sure to slow down! It is a beautiful area for traditional tower houses, small olive groves surrounded by low dry-stone walls and numerous small churches from the Byzantine era.
- Visit the underwater caves at Dorio.
- Go walking amongst the olive groves and fields with low dry-stone walls. There are stark, yet beautiful barren landscapes.
- Go and explore the Ottoman castle in Kelefa. Extensive ruins and a beautiful view out over the Itylo bay and beyond.
- Visit the village of Vatheia, south of the peninsula, the most beautiful village in the Mani Peninsula, perched on top of a hill that overlooks the entire region. The village is made up of fortified tower houses.
- Be sure to see the village of Porto Kagio (lit. "port of quails”), a small harbour at the back of beyond. It has a fantastic beach and Frankish castle.
- Go walking along Cape Tenaro, formerly known as Cape Matapan, the most southern point of the European continent.
- Go swimming in the deep inlets and small beaches dotted here and there.
Have an amazing experience in Greece!