HIKING IN CRETE
This itinerary goes through the following steps:
Jour 1 : Chania
Jour 2 : Chania – Palaiochora
Jour 3 : Palaiochora - Sougia
Jour 4 : Sougia – Agia Irini - Omalos
Jour 5 : Samaria Gorge
Jour 6 : Loutro
Jour 7 : Loutro - Sfakia
Jour 8 : End of the trip
Crete: a paradise on Earth, at the heart of Mediterranean
If you are into hiking, you will absolutely love this little trek in Crete, among the most beautiful trekking experience in Greece! Crete is the fifth biggest island in the Mediterranean and a walkers’ paradise. As you follow the numerous paths, through the hills or along the coast, you will discover traces of Crete’s prestigious past. Take a break in the shade of the little churches decorated with Byzantine frescoes. When the sun sets, you can relax, lookout to sea and enjoy the delicious cuisine.
Visited destinations in Greece: Crete
N.B : Contact our greek specialists so they can customize this itinerary and adapt it to your needs and wishes.
Crete offers you a wide range of possibilities for your nights. Hotel, local charming housing, family accomodation... Our local specialists selected authentic and independant places where you can enjoy both comfort and local charm.
Of course, "tailor-made travels" means you can share any special needs and requests with our local specialist so he can adapt his suggestions to your wishes.
Estimated price per person, based on a 2-person trip: 800 euros
- From 800 to 1000 euros depending on the type of accomodation you choose
- For extra bedroom: 80 euros
Fixed price according to the number of people, the season and the vehicle category
- Full board from dinner on Day 1 to breakfast on Day 8. Picnic lunch and dinner in a local tavern.
- Transfers and all transport.
- A professional greek guide.
- Entrance fees to national parks and all taxes.
What's not included
- Your international flights
- Drinks, tips and extras
- Entrance fees to museums and to other sites not included on the itinerary.
Day by Day
Day 1: Chania
Your guide will welcome you at Chania airport. Check-in at hotel.
Day 2: Chania – Palaiochora
You will visit the town in the morning. You will have lunch at the old harbour. In the afternoon, a minibus will take you to Palaiochora on the south-west coast. Around a 1-hour journey (70 km). Your hotel is located a stone’s throw away from a sandy beach, and you will have lots of free time for a swim in the Libyan Sea.
Day 3: Palaiochora - Sougia
Between 5 and 6 hours of hiking.
You will leave Palaiochora and walk along the coast towards Sougia. The path goes up and down, before arriving at the ancient site of Lissos, where you can spend some time admiring the ruins. It will take you another hour to get to Sougia where you will finish your day on the beach.
Day 4: Sougia – Agia Irini - Omalos
4 hours of hiking.
You will leave Sougia. From the coast, you will head back up the Agia Irini gorge via a well-marked hiking path. You will see magnificent countryside, which contrasts completely with what you saw the day before. At the summit of the gorge, over 600 metres above sea level, you will stop to have lunch. In the afternoon, you will travel by minibus for forty kilometres or so to Omalos, in the White Mountains.
Day 5: Samaria Gorge
6 hours of hiking.
You will go hiking in the Samaria gorge, the most breathtaking ravine in Crete. You will start at Xyloskalo (1200 metres above sea level). The first part of the hike is the steepest, but the path is well kept, and after one hour of hiking you will reach the bottom of the gorge where you will follow the river. You can have a picnic beside the river. You will continue to climb down until you arrive at the village of Agia Roumeli, where you will spend the night. You should have enough time to go to the beach.
Day 6: Loutro
3 hours of hiking.
Short transfer to Loutro, a small coastal village to the east. In the morning you will walk through old terraced fields towards the hamlet of Livaniana. At about 300 metres above sea level, you will enjoy a fantastic view. You will then start to climb down the Aradena gorge, keeping to the dry riverbed for most of the way. You will stop for lunch at Marmara beach, and return to Loutro towards the end of the afternoon.
Day 7: Loutro - Sfakia
3 hours of hiking.
Today you will take the spectacular path which climbs from Loutro to Sfakia. In reality, it is not as steep as it looks! You will stop at the fresh water lake for a swim. You can then walk to Sfakia, an old village where the peaks of the White Mountains can be seen. Splendid views over the Libyan Sea. From there, the minibus will take you to Chania.
Day 8: Takeoff
Transfer to the airport for your return flight.
Highlights of the travel in Crete:
- The perfect mix between hiking and sunbathing in the beaches of Crete
- This trip to Crete is available from April to October. Departures every Monday.
- Between three and six hours of hiking per day over rocky ground.
- You travel in a small group: six to sixteen people.
- A 7/7 assistance during your trip
Our advices for this travel in Crete:
- On the one hand, obviously hiking in Greece requests to bring appropriate material: it's time to use your best shoes! On the other hand, you'll need your sunscreen, swimsuit and a hat to enjoy sunbathing in the perfect conditions!
- When it comes to food, don't hesitate to enter in a restaurant to feel the local ambience, taste the local alcool such as Rapi or Tsikoudia and eat meze.
Have an amazing experience in Greece!