BIKING, KAYAKING AND HIKING IN CRETE
This itinerary goes through the following steps:
Day 1 : Chania – Spilia
Day 2 : Spilia – Falassarna. Mountain biking
Day 3 : Falassarna – Hrysoskalitisa. Mountain biking
Day 4 : Hrysoskalitisa – Palaiochora. Mountain biking
Day 5 : Palaiochora – Sougia. Sea kayaking.
Day 6 : Sougia – Omalos. Hiking
Day 7 : Omalos – Samaria – Agia Roumeli. Hiking
Day 8 : End of the trip
Crete, a fantastic playground for outdoor sports enthusiasts.
We have designed this trip so that you can discover western Crete from three different angles: on mountain bike, in kayak, or on foot. There is no need to be extremely sporty, you just need to be reasonably fit and have a bit of experience. Stunning beaches and comfortable hotels await you after all your physical exercise!
Visited destinations in Greece: Crete
N.B : Contact our greek specialists so they can customize this itinerary and adapt it to your needs and wishes.
Crete offers you a wide range of possibilities for your nights. Hotel, local charming housing, family accomodation... Our local specialists selected authentic and independant places where you can enjoy both comfort and local charm.
Of course, "tailor-made travels" means you can share any special needs and requests with our local specialist so he can adapt his suggestions to your wishes.
Here is the list of hotels for your travel in Crete:
- Spilia : Traditional housing
- Falassarna : Traditional housing
- Chryssoskalitissa : Convent
- Paleochora : Traditional housing
- Sougia : Traditional housing
- Omalos : Hotel
- Chania : Hotel
Estimated price per person, based on a 2-person trip: 900 euros
- From 900 to 1000 euros depending on the type of accomodation you choose and your travel dates
- For extra bedroom: 80 euros
Fixed price according to the number of people, the season and the vehicle category
- Full board from dinner on Day 1 to breakfast on Day 8. Picnic lunch and dinner in a local tavern.
- The accommodation includes a double room.
- Transfers and transportation
- The services of a professional guide.
- The kayak and all the equipment.
- Entrance fees to national parks and all taxes.
What's not included
- Your international flights
- Drinks, tips and extras
- Bike hire
- Entrance fees to museums and to other sites not included on the itinerary.
Day by Day
Day 1: Chania – Spilia
Your guide will welcome you at Chania airport. Discover the old town and travel to the village of Spilia, about thirty kilometres further west. Have dinner in a tavern and spend the night in a guest house. Introduction to the Cretan diet.
Day 2: Spilia – Falassarna. Mountain biking
Total of 37 km, 4 km of which uphill.
You will ride along the coast, through the hills, to Falassarna. This is a former harbour which dates back to antiquity. You will arrive reasonably early so you can lounge on the beach. The extremely pure water makes it an ideal bathing spot. Spend the night in a guest house.
Day 3: Falassarna – Hrysoskalitisa. Mountain biking
Total of 45 km, 17 km of which uphill.
You will ride along the coast to Hrysoskalitisa, crossing through magnificent countryside and little inlets which open out onto sandy beaches. In the evening, you will sleep in a former convent built on the top of a rock, 35 metres above sea level.
Day 4: Hrysoskalitisa – Palaiochora. Mountain biking
Total of 44 km, 7 km of which uphill.
You will take the paths which go through the hills to cut through the southernmost tip of Crete. On the second part of the route, you will join the coast again before arriving at Palaiochora in the afternoon. A fishing village facing the Libyan Sea, which has kept its authentic character. It is also known for its stunning beaches. Spend the night in a guest house.
Day 5: Palaiochora – Sougia. Sea kayaking.
Total of 12 km. 5 hours.
You will leave your mountain bike and take a sea kayak. After a quick introduction, you will negotiate your way, following the coast to Sougia. You will pass in front of the remains of the ancient site of Lissos. You will arrive in Sougia in the afternoon. This small seaside resort boasts a long stretch of quiet beach at the edge of a bay surrounded by mountains, a sea front promenade with a few shops and restaurants. Spend the night in a guest house.
Day 6: Sougia – Omalos. Hiking
Total of 15 km. 4 hours of hiking.
You will leave Sougia and the coast to head back up the Agia Irini gorge via a well-marked hiking path. You will see the magnificent countryside, a complete contrast to what you will have seen the day before. At the summit of the gorge, over 600 metres above sea level, you will stop to have lunch. In the afternoon, you will take a minibus transfer for forty kilometres or so to Omalos, in the White Mountains.
Day 7: Omalos – Samaria – Agia Roumeli. Hiking
Total of 18 km. 6 hours of hiking.
You will go hiking in the Samaria gorge, the most breathtaking in all of Crete. You will make your way down at Xyloskalo (1200 metres above sea level). The first part of the route is the steepest, but the path is well kept, and after one hour of walking you will reach the bottom of the gorge where you will follow the course of the water. You can have a picnic on the riverbanks. You will arrive at the village of Agia Roumeli towards the end of the afternoon. You should have enough time to go to the beach. Minibus transfer to Chania at the end of the day.
Have dinner in a tavern and spend the night in a hotel.
Day 8: Chania
A final opportunity to visit the town of Chania. Transfer to the airport for your return flight.
Highlights of the travel in Crete:
- Kayaking in Crete is a good way to access confidential beaches
- This trip to Crete is available from April to October. Departures every Monday.
- You travel in a small group: six to sixteen people.
- A 7/7 assistance during your trip
Our advices for this travel in Crete:
- On the one hand, obviously hiking in Greece requests to bring appropriate material: it's time to use your best shoes! On the other hand, you'll need your sunscreen, swimsuit and a hat to enjoy sunbathing in the perfect conditions!
- When it comes to visiting Samaria, favour spring. At this period: nature is breathtaking and weather still fine. September and october are also good options: less tourists and nice temperature.
- We recommand you to taste all the local food. Here it's listed by UNESCO as part of Intangible Cultural Heritage.
Have an amazing experience in Greece!